Sunday, March 10, 2013

Character changes. Blog #2!


Character changes!

One of my favorite characters from books I’ve read was Raina Telgemeier from Smile, written by Raina Telgmeier. She changed from being shy and lacking self-confidence to realizing her own beauty and believing in herself. One way she changed was that in the beginning she was pushed around from her so called friends. One time they were at her birthday party, and she was talking about getting a new retainer for her two missing front teeth. One “friend” responded with, ‘So you’ll look normal soon?’ Also, a couple of friends were outside and Raina was at the vending machine when two girls came up behind her and pulled her skirt down. Two of her “friends”. Finally, she went right up to each person and told them off. She said, “You guys want a reaction from me? Fine. Karin, I’m not a dog. Nicole I’m not a vampire. I’m not going to let the rest of you disrespect me anymore. I’m done. Goodbye.” She eventually found  new friends and bonded with them. The second way she changes is that she learns to love herself exactly the way she is.  In the beginning she feels ashamed that she was missing two teeth.  She says to her new friend, “I just wish boys liked me.” Also, she said, “If I could I’d just hid my face for the next few months!”  But at the end, she says, “I realized that I had been letting the way I looked on the outside affect how I felt on the inside.” She understands that she loves herself for herself, not anything different. I relate so much to her, and I think most girls really do at this age. They think too much about how they look and how to become “popular.” But I learned how to love me, and I really think if anybody has issues with themselves, reading this book will help. Thanks for reading! Until next time! J

~Olivia

1 comment: